Saturday 8 October 2022

Fostering Reading Cultures in Schools


Grade 3 and Kindergarten buddies reading together


‘There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.’ —Frank Serafini

How do I foster a reading culture in my classroom?

I provide my students with access to literature, modeling, engaging programming, and direct teaching of reading strategies.


I have lots of well organized books that have been purchased with my students’ interest in mind. They are well used in the classroom, as are books borrowed from our school library. In the past, our school had an online subscription to Reading A-Z but now we are using Epic for digital reading. In a several of my former schools, we could walk to the public library so we would visit once a month. Now, I encourage our public librarians to visit us to promote programs.

My students love Read Aloud time after recess. I read to them while they eat their snacks. This is a favourite time for both me and my students. I’ll prompt them to make predictions, and make connections. I have a collection of poems, and chants that we read and reread for fluency. Student favourites include several tongue twisters and some super challenging poems. Carefully chosen books are used as provocations and sources of information in both Science and Socials studies.

A lot of my time is invested in setting up and facilitating programs that enhance literacy.

Literature Circles: I have had success with literature circles over the years. Recently, I organized lit circles for my students using Raven Tales. Each group of 5-6 students had a literacy job for their assigned Raven Tales story. The next week they would change jobs and be assigned a new story. The students start using the structure of the lit circle tasks then shift into authentic personal chatter related to the story.

More about Literature Circles

Book Clubs: I briefly worked as a librarian part time several years ago. I did organize two lunch time book clubs for the grade 6/7s. Students would eat and chat. Meetings were facilitated by myself in the beginning, then the students totally took them over. During the Covid closures I had an online book club that was well attended. Participants were in grades 4-6 and from four different schools. We always started with the Readers Bill of Rights which I think really helped set the tone and give students ownership.

Literacy Connections: I love bringing books to life. Recently I brought several of my mushroom field guides from home. My students really enjoyed identifying mushrooms in the forest behind our school. Several students were disappointed when I brought my books home so they went to the public library and got their own field guides. Parents are still sending in mushroom photos!

Student inspired by mushroom books


Home Reading Nights: I have organized evening events where parents and their children are invited to come and learn about strategies to support their child’s reading at home. These events focus on the 12 Reading Strategies from our district literacy documents.

More about 12 Reading Strategies

More about What Should I Read Next

Literacy Challenge: I make literacy passports to encourage and motivate reading throughout the year. There are challenges each day that include daily reading, and things like playing board games, sending emails, digital photo challenges, postcard writing, and more. By mixing up the challenges, it ensures each passport is unique.

The school I am at now does not have a school wide reading program. We do all refer to our school district’s Reading 44 and CR4YR resources that are recommended for teachers. They are great resources that highlight direct teaching and practicing of the 12 Reading Strategies.

Some schools I have taught at had a school wide Guided Reading program. What a success! It was a lot of work to assess and organize the groups school wide but once we got started it was magic.

I usually organize several school wide literacy events each year. Participation is high in our school and the students love them. Some of these literacy events include a school wide write of poetry for a school Poet-tree, school wide buddy reading and writing of Mr. Bleezer’s Ice Cream by Shel Silverstein and buddy writing with found poetry writing.

Found Poetry (Cut and Paste) by student

I am grateful for our district Reading 44 and CR4YR resources. These are terrific tools to help provide structure for a strong reading program. The lessons can be used to support pretty much any literature. It’s great that teachers across our district focus on the same strategies and use the same language. They bridge with Adrienne Gear’s lessons as well as the Café resources. My current school does not have books suitable for guided reading. More specifically, books sets. Most of our book sets are ‘reproducible’ (photocopied) books from Reading A-Z.

‘Reading should not be presented to children as a chore or duty. It should be offered to them as a precious gift.’ —Kate DiCamillo

What are my next steps? Our school Covid protocols put a pause on many of these literacy activities. This year I will be bringing back the home reading nights, and more school wide buddy literacy activities. I would love to try a Book Tasting. It looks like fun and would be great to coordinate with our librarian so several classes can participate.

I have recently changed grades and moved from our school Intermediate Team to the Primary Team. I am going to continue to advocate for purchasing more books that can be used for Guided Reading. It is timely as we have several new teachers this year that are starting out and just starting to build class libraries.

More about More About Book Tastings Here

As I reflect, I think I have done, and do quite a bit to foster a love of reading at my school. I can always do more, especially in creating novelty activities that are fresh and fun. I would also like to do more activities that connect text to our community. For example I would like to go on a Reading Walk where we walk to neighbourhood parks with the focus on reading all the signs. I'll let you know how that goes!

References

Burnaby South Secondary School. (n.d.). Retrieved October 8, 2022, from https://south.burnabyschools.ca/

North Vancouver School District. (2004). Reading 44.

Readers' bill of rights. The Reading Roundup. (2021, July 31). Retrieved October 8, 2022, from https://thereadingroundup.com/readers-bill-of-rights/

Staff, W. A. T. (2021, April 22). Expand your readers' palates with a book tasting. We Are Teachers. Retrieved October 8, 2022, from https://www.weareteachers.com/book-tasting/

Using guided reading to develop student reading independence. Using Guided Reading to Develop Student Reading Independence | Read Write Think. (n.d.). Retrieved October 8, 2022, from https://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/using-guided-reading-develop

What Should I Read Next. (n.d.). What should I read next? book recommendations from readers like you. What Should I Read Next? Book recommendations from readers like you. Retrieved October 8, 2022, from https://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/










6 comments:

  1. Hi Tinker Thinker! I really enjoyed learning about all of the ways that you engage your students and encourage a culture of reading. It certainly sounds like this is an are of passion for you. If you are looking for more ideas for connecting the community and place-based learning into your reading activities there are a couple of great resources. The book "A Walking Curriculum" by Gillian Judson is incredible and has so many easy and accessible walks like the literacy walk that you described. (https://outdoorlearningstore.com/product/a-walking-curriculum/). Another great book for place based community learning is "Dirty Teaching" by Juliet Robertson, like "A Walking Curriculum," this book has lots of simple easy access activities that can take your typical indoor reading practice outdoors in order to connect it to place. (https://www.perlego.com/book/568273/dirty-teaching-pdf)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Your recommendation of 'A Walking Curriculum' sounds like a great fit for me right now. I love reading and analyzing signs with students. There is so much to learn about our communities. I will also look at 'Dirty Teaching.' Monique (Tinker Thinker)

      Delete
  2. Hello Tinker Thinker. I enjoyed how you mentioned the book clubs and literacy connections that you have made this year. The bit about the mushrooms identification is super cute. I also want to do a book tasting in a couple of weeks. Have you done it before? I have never done a book tasting so I'm hoping that it's successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chantelle! No, I have never done a Book Tasting before but am excited to try. As for the mushrooms, it really took on a life of its own. My students are really into them. We have identified over 20 different mushrooms. Families have been going for walks and sending me photos to show the class. We have dyed fabric and yarn with great success and some families have done the same at home. Cheers! Monique (Tinker Thinker)

      Delete
    2. Hello. I have done many book tastes. They are very successful and readers have a vast choice of books that they might like to read. We sat at group tables arranged in a circle. In front of each reader I set up a placemat and a plate. I had jellybeans or other small treats for each book. At each table, I had chosen books on similar themes at different reading levels. Readers chose a book from the pile of books and were given two minutes to read and peruse the book. When the 2 minutes were finished, they recorded the title of the book on a MENU that they were given when they entered the room if they would like more time with the book. Then they were required to return the book to the pile of books and take their plate and menu to the next table in the circle. It is a great way to taste different books in a short time.

      Delete
  3. This is a strong post. You have left your reader with many good ideas and resources to consider. I love the idea of a Reading Walk - what a great way to model that literacy is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Critical Literacy in Accessing Internet Reference Resources

  “The one real goal of education is to leave a person asking questions.”  Max Beerbohm What is critical literacy?      Critical literacy is...